Re: signature separator [was: Re: w3m can't show html mail with charset: gb2312]

On Wednesday, July 27 at 12:20 PM, quoth Gary Johnson:
>    Broken sig separator: Put a space as third character.

Can you think of a better way of avoiding having vim screw with your signature when using format-flowed autoformatting (set fo+=aw)? In my experience, the space as the third character turns it into just-another-paragraph-to-be-reformatted all too often.

Better than what?

Better than hacking mutt to remove the space from the end of the "-- " line.

For a while I used a pair of mappings that turned format-flowed formatting on and off, but then someone suggested using an autocommand and the CursorHold event to call a function that would recognize where the cursor is (in the header, in the body, or in the signature) and set format-flowed formatting on or off as appropriate. I wrote one and it's really nice. It still doesn't solve the problem, though, where reformatting or deleting the last paragraph of the body causes the signature to be reformatted. It also doesn't solve the signature-reformatting problem if you just type the signature rather than edit an already-appended signature.

I used to use something like that, too... but it didn't work well enough for me (I type fast, and it only re-evaluated whether to turn auto-formatting on or off when I stopped typing for a sec). What I've fallen back on doing is "set sig-dashes=no" and putting the "~Kyle\n-- " in my signature program.

~Kyle
--
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
                                                         -- Oscar Wilde