Re: w3m can't show html mail with charset: gb2312

Hello Haizi,

 On Wednesday, July 20, 2005 at 3:20:43 PM +0800, Haizi Zheng wrote:

>>| Subject: Re: ????
> the characters are plain, they haven't been encoded.

    The quoted header was not raw, but already decoded (and strangely
garbled). So you unfortunately can't conclude anything here. Just that
once requoted by you it can't be UTF-8, but looks like valid gb2312 or
gb18030. Bxuefeng: I'd need the raw mail, saved to a temporary mbox,
gzipped, and attached for me, please.

    By principle Mutt gives to the external renderer the html attachment
after de-MIMEing, base64 decoding, but whithout any charset transcoding.
It is the the duty of the external renderer to convert text to display,
be it in it's own window, or even given back to Mutt's autoview.

    The problem is when html doesn't contain meta tags telling its
charset, when the only indication is the MIME container. Mutt doesn't
pass this info to the external viewer. Perhaps it should.

Bye!    Alain.