header caching

I have my shell account at Panix, and they are moving all accounts
over from mbox to maildir.  Problem is that a mail folder I use a lot
has over 2000 messages, and it's usually REALLY slow to load the
mailbox.  I can see it slowly counting up, where with mbox it's pretty
fast.  I said that I can't take it like this, but they said that they
will be installing a new version of mutt using header caching.  Is
there any offical documentation around on this so I can figure it out?
I run my own patched version of mutt, so I will need to build it
myself.  I currently run 1.4.2i.

Thanks.

-Ken