Re: header caching

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 07:38:58PM -0400, Ken Weingold wrote:

> I have my shell account at Panix, and they are moving all accounts
> over from mbox to maildir.  Problem is that a mail folder I use a lot
> has over 2000 messages, and it's usually REALLY slow to load the
> mailbox.  I can see it slowly counting up, where with mbox it's pretty
> fast.  I said that I can't take it like this, but they said that they
> will be installing a new version of mutt using header caching.  Is
> there any offical documentation around on this so I can figure it out?

First of all, you could (if you wanted) probably convert the folder back
to mbox and use it.... really it would only be your inbox or other
incoming folders where you'd need to use Maildir.

I think 1.5.x will be faster with Maildir, even without the header
caching. Header-caching for IMAP is already in recent 1.5.x snapshots,
but you still need a patch for Maildir header caching as well... in
addition, you need to set some options and use the --enable-cache flag
when building it.

Most of the info you need is at:
http://wwwcip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~sithglan/mutt/

something like this should do it (config-wise):
set header_cache=~/hcache/
set maildir_header_cache_verify=no

/w