Re: w3m can't show html mail with charset: gb2312

<Please accept my apology if this message is already posted. I got some
glitches with my MTA and I thought I didn't send this one>

On 15:48 Sat 23 Jul     , Alain Bench wrote:
>     Mutt doesn't look at meta tags *inside* the attachment, but at the
> MIME packaging *around* it:

>     Then Mutt calls w3m with "-I whatever". So probably all mails you
> checked had as container either "charset=us-ascii" or lacking charset
> parameter (implicit US-Ascii).
>
>     That also means that for w3m, -I overrides meta charset, right? This
> might be bad. Can w3m be configured to use -I only if meta lacks? Does
> w3m use meta at all?

I am not sure of this meta tag stuff. Is meta embedded in html pages, if the
answer is yes, then it can of course use meta.

>     Try mailcap entries revision 2.0:
>
> | text/html ;\
> |     w3m -T text/html -I GB2312 -dump %s ;\
> |     nametemplate=%s.html ;\
> |     test=test %{charset} = us-ascii ;\
> |     copiousoutput
> | text/html ;\
> |     w3m -T text/html -I %{charset} -dump %s ;\
> |     nametemplate=%s.html ;\
> |     copiousoutput
>
>     This should provide a reasonable default GB2312, and permit all
> other charsets. Still overrides meta in every case, though.

Thank you. I pasted them in my mailcap and so far it works like charm.
Could you explain a bit on these entries?

|test=test %{charset} = us-ascii ;\

What's this 'test' for? To test what? Why it equals us-ascii?

does %{charset} mean that mutt will parse html page's charset and them send
it to w3m?

| nametemplate=%s.html ;\

what does this line for?

Message's body and Subject can now display correct encodings.
Regarding Subject encoding, I use

|unset strict_mime
|set assumed_charset="gb2312"

in muttrc on debian/sarge as you suggested and it works great.

Still another question:

the part in From: remains unaffected. How to set encoding for From: as well?

regards

bxuef

--
dhammapada says:

  The perfume of tagara and sandalwood is of little enough power, while
  the supreme fragrance, that of the virtuous, reaches even up to the
  devas. 56