Re: Strip SIG on reply

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, David Yitzchak Cohen wrote:

> > > just return to elvis and call it a day.  I only use VIM now occasionally,
> > > mostly to help people who're having trouble getting their entity macros
> > > working properly (elvis' entities aren't exactly VIM-compatible in
> > > general) and occasionally to fix a UTF file that I screwed up while
> > > editing with elvis.)
> >
> > Yes.  There's also a recent nvi which does UTF-8 (though I haven't tried
> > that).
>
> really?  nvi is suddenly starting to sound like a much more interesting
> option ... does it do compile-time remapping of the command keyboard, too?
> (i.e., is it usable on Dvorak without that map insanity?)

probably not.  It doesn't do syntax highlighting either.  Though I recall
it does character classes (and seem to recall that vim lagged in that area
by a couple of years).

> > (Most of the time I run vim any more is to compare
> > bugs in the syntax highlighting).
>
> Don't bother comparing it to elvis'; elvis sucks at hilighting syntax.

however, the motivation for vim developers implementing highlighting was
to do what elvis was doing.  Doing it with runtime regular expressions was
the innovative part (though it has its own limitations, as illustrated by
the Byzantine set of special operations).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net