Re: Strip SIG on reply

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 07:24:35AM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, David Yitzchak Cohen wrote:

> > One particular annoyance I just came across while trying to edit this
> > message with VIM is that historical VI beeps when you're at the last word,
> > while VIM insists on going to the last char.
>
> I hadn't noticed that.  Mostly when I'm comparing behavior, it's the end
> result (and there are differences among vi/nvi/elvis/vim/vile, of course).

When I'm not looking at the screen, but typing a bunch of commands while
my editor is busy loading (yes, even elvis isn't THAT fast), I expect
the certain behavior from my editor.  Trying to change the last word in a
small file is as easy as holding down the W key until it starts beeping,
and then hitting SHIFT and C.  It drives me crazy when I don't get the
expected feedback.

> But mostly they're not documented.  Generally nvi is closer to vi's
> behavior than either vim or elvis (not always).

Hmm ... maybe I should take a closer look at nvi ... I've never actually
used it.

> I don't know that
> anyone's listed all of the differences though.  (I regard the statement
> that vim is almost 100% vi-compatible as complete nonsense though).

LOL ... it has a VI-compatible-claiming mode, though ;-)

> > just return to elvis and call it a day.  I only use VIM now occasionally,
> > mostly to help people who're having trouble getting their entity macros
> > working properly (elvis' entities aren't exactly VIM-compatible in
> > general) and occasionally to fix a UTF file that I screwed up while
> > editing with elvis.)
>
> Yes.  There's also a recent nvi which does UTF-8 (though I haven't tried
> that).

really?  nvi is suddenly starting to sound like a much more interesting
option ... does it do compile-time remapping of the command keyboard, too?
(i.e., is it usable on Dvorak without that map insanity?)

> But aside from editing the UTF-8 test-cases for dialog, I haven't
> found a use for that.

I have lots of uses for UTF editing.  Two out of the three languages I
deal with regularly require UTF.

> (Most of the time I run vim any more is to compare
> bugs in the syntax highlighting).

Don't bother comparing it to elvis'; elvis sucks at hilighting syntax.
The ideal way to syntax highlight is really to have the compiler generate
an XML file from the source code, and have the editor parse that.

 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel