Re: Strip SIG on reply

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 06:17:24AM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, David Yitzchak Cohen wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 11:50:28AM -0600, David Champion wrote:
> > > * On 2003.12.11, in <20031211065112.GB2823@xxxxxxx>,

> > > Yes. I use Solaris, whose vi descends from AT&T source, which is all I
> > > meant. It's not a reimplementation of basic concepts with new features
> > > and new misbehaviors.
> >
> > Have you ever tried elvis?  It tries to stick to VI behavior in most
> > cases where it differs from VIM behavior, so it doesn't introduce too
> > many POSIXisms ;-)
>
> That's a complicated statement.  Which differences of vim relative to vi
> are based on POSIX?

One particular annoyance I just came across while trying to edit this
message with VIM is that historical VI beeps when you're at the last word,
while VIM insists on going to the last char.

The rest are the same type of thing - where traditional VI does the
so-called "logical" thing, but POSIX decides to try interpreting what you
may've wanted to do, and acts based on that.  Call me a control freak,
but I don't like the idea of a smart editor; I want my editor to be a
small piece of software that does exactly what I tell it to, not what
it thinks I want it to.  (Translation: as far as text editors go, AI
sucks and elvis rocks.)

I'm on an oldish version of VIM here, so I don't remember all the other
ones off-hand.  I just remember complaining about some annoyances a
couple of years ago, and having the guy point to parts of the IEEE spec.
I decided to read the rest with an open VIM handy and found a few other
instances where the annoying VIM behavior was actually correct according
to POSIX.  (To be fair, virtually all of them had weird settings in VIM
to disable the POSIX behavior, but since I wasn't on UTF yet I decided to
just return to elvis and call it a day.  I only use VIM now occasionally,
mostly to help people who're having trouble getting their entity macros
working properly (elvis' entities aren't exactly VIM-compatible in
general) and occasionally to fix a UTF file that I screwed up while
editing with elvis.)

> Offhand, the only interesting POSIX-based vi behavior that I recall is the
> support for character classes in regular expressions.

That's one of the few advantages of POSIX compliance ;-P

 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel