Re: multiple entries in send_charset

 On Monday, October 27, 2003 at 9:30:59 AM +0100, Andrei A. Voropaev wrote:

> I constantly exchange mails with my friend who uses Outlook. I send
> emails in KOI8 and he sends in CP1251 but we don't notice any
> problems.

    Unless badly configured, any half-recent half-decent mailer should
have no problem. I assume you mean KOI8-R with "-R": KOI8 is a different
charset with half less characters.

> His replies to my emails come in KOI8.

    Normal: By default Outlook and Outlook Express reply in the same
charset as the original mail. Good strategy to quote and write readably
for the recipient... As long as his original mail was well formed and
well labelled at the beginning.

    Problem is MSO and MSOE are configurable to not set a charset label.
So sometimes recipients must try divination to guess what it is... Bad,
of course. But simply setting MSO(E) to use MIME, no encoding, and
uncheck "allow 8bits in headers" solves it. The $assumed_charset of JA
patch can help Mutters otherwise.

> My replies I believe don't go in CP1251 :)

    No same strategy: Mutt first converts quotes from their label to
current $charset (perhaps losing unconvertable chars), then you trim
quotes and write your text also in $charset. Then Mutt sends all
converted from $charset to suitable $send_charset. This _can_ mean
sending in CP-1251, or not. Depends.

>> If you want to safely send a Russian e-mail, encode it in
>> windows-1251, since M$ infested idiots will be able to read it and
>> smart people will be able to recode it -- not vice versa.
> Sounds like correct recomendation. I'm just not sure that this would
> work properly.

    AFAICS it would work (with all recent decent half-mailers). But IMHO
sending mostly in CP-1251 is not a correct recomendation. I'm _sure_ a
better (more clean, standard, less failing readers) solution exist. Just
searching it yet, with your help.

    [$charset=koi8-r $send_charset=windows-1251]
> text written as 8bit KOI8 is indistinguishable from 8bit CP1251 [...]
> So the mail would go out as KOI8 text marked with CP1251 charset.

    No: As 1251 text labelled 1251.

Bye!    Alain.
--
« if you believe the CT charset= parameter, I've got a bridge to sell you. »