Re: multiple entries in send_charset

On 2003-10-25 at 16:23 +0200, Alain Bench wrote:
>     This would lead us to proposal:
>
> | $send_charset="...:iso-8859-5:koi8-r:koi8-u:windows-1251:..."
>
>     Note this leads to most mails sent in ISO. KOI8-* would nearly never
> be selected: Only in cases one writes Cyrillic and semi-graphics.

KOI8-R is the de facto standard for e-mail encoding in Russia. Even
Microsoft products properly handle that for incoming and outgoing
messages. Only broken and/or misconfigured mailers send e-mails in
windows-1251 encoding. Those that use iso-8859-5 by default are broken
beyond any hope, IMHO. ;)

So, from a viewpoint of a Russian user, your proposal for send_charset
settings should be changed to:

set send_charset="us-ascii:koi8-r:..."

Of course, that doesn't take into account the need of the original poster
to send messages in German, but I am talking about a regular
Russian user who usually send messages in Russian and English.

My 2 kopecks. ;)

Sergei