Re: multiple entries in send_charset

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 03:49:17PM +0200, Alain Bench wrote:
> Hi Andrei,
>
>  On Wednesday, October 15, 2003 at 9:37:39 AM +0200, Andrei A. Voropaev wrote:
>
> > I have to write emails in German. And I want to have "iso-8859-1" as
> > charset for those emails. So I tried
> > set send_charset="us-ascii:iso-8859-1:koi8-r"
> > But it didn't work.
>
>     It works. Really. But in a so limited way it fails in practice.

Good to know :)

[...]
>     You have 2 solutions: Use 2 terminals, or use an UTF-8 one.

I opt for 2 terminals since UTF-8 is either too hard to configure or
simply is not supported well enough. In either case the outcome is the
same. I can't get it to work really :)

>  - 2 terms: Setup another terminal so that it has a L1 charset, and that
> when you start it your LC_CTYPE is set to say "de_DE.iso-8859-1". Remove
> explicit "set charset=..." from muttrc. Mutt started from this term will
> be ready to play nice German. Mutt started from your today K8R term with
> ru_RU.KOI8-R locale will continue to play Cyrillic.

Ok. The only thing that I was missing (or better to say had extra :) was
that 'set charset' in my muttrc. Now things are working good. Only one
thing bothers me. When I send email Content-Transfer-Encoding is
supposed to be 8bit. But when I receive it (I send to myself) the
transfer-encoding is set to quoted-printable. Is it possible that one of
MTA's changes it? (Actually I'm almost sure that MTA of my ISP does it.
They have Internet Mail or something else from Microsoft)

[...]
>     Both solutions have their own setup difficulties and drawbacks. Look
> at archives here for tips to circumvent some of them. The JA-patch might
> help. Mutt -v shows you +HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET, right? What's the usage
> status of ISO-8859-5 charset in Russia?

As far as I know ISO-8859-5 is barely used by anyone. Most of people are
either on Windows with CP1251 or on Linux with koi8r

Thank you for help

Andrei