Re: multiple entries in send_charset

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 03:34:44PM +0200, Alain Bench wrote:
>  On Thursday, October 16, 2003 at 10:12:45 AM +0200, Andrei A. Voropaev wrote:
>
> > I opt for 2 terminals since UTF-8 is either too hard to configure or
> > simply is not supported well enough.
>
>     Anyway once you get the 2 terms concept, you can easely add an UTF
> third to hack it's config until it works ;-).

You are right. Meanwhile I was able to get mutt working under xterm with
UTF-8 locale. I had to recompile mutt, ncurses and create correct locales but
things are working now in one terminal. (I'm missing though nice
backgrounds that I had in Eterm, maybe some day I'll get Eterm to
support UTF-8)

> > The only thing that I was missing (or better to say had extra :) was
> > that 'set charset' in my muttrc.
>
>     People with -HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET can do it with something as:
>
> | set charset=`case $TERM in \
> |   putty-latin-1) \
> |     echo iso-8859-1;; \
> |   putty-koi8-r) \
> |     echo koi8-r;; \
> |   putty-utf-8) \
> |     echo utf-8;; \
> | esac`
>
>     Or with cases based on ${LC_ALL-${LC_CTYPE-${LANG-C}}}

Does it really have to be so complicated? Right now I don't have
anything and things are working great both in UTF-8 and in 8-bit
enviroments.

>     Yes, possible. My present émail is sent L1/8bit, and AFAICS will be
> dispatched 8bit by the list. How do you receive it? Is there any
> "X-MIME-Autoconverted:" field in header?

Emails from the list I receive thru different ISP. So your email came to
me unmodified. See if this response got converted.

> > ISO-8859-5 is barely used by anyone. Most of people are either on
> > Windows with CP1251 or on Linux with koi8r
>
>     Thanks. So a $send_charset of "...:koi8-r:koi8-u:windows-1251:utf-8"
> could be good for every Cyrillic user, whatever terminal he uses?

I think koi-8-r and windows-1251 won't work together since russian
characters take exactly the same positions in these encodings. Just
different characters order. So mutt will never figure out if this is
koi8-r or windows-1251 unless it checks words against some dictionary.

Andrei