Re: multiple entries in send_charset

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 06:06:54PM -0400, Alexy Khrabrov wrote:

> Alas, as a Linux veteran, I recently succumbed to a torrent of
> WIndows-born html-infested e-mail.  Most Russian e-mail is produced
> that way in Outlook.  Most Russian spam also comes in that form.  Only
> enlightened *nix users use koi8-r.  To state that koi8-r is a de facto
> standard is the same as to say most people read Shakespeare or Pushkin --
> they are supposed to, but they didn't, they read New York Daily News or

Well. I also don't think that koi8-r is standard. But. All latest
Microsoft mailers understand it. I constantly exchange mails with my
friend who uses Outlook. I send emails in KOI8 and he sends in CP1251
but we don't notice any problems. More than that. His replies to my
emails come in KOI8. (My replies I believe don't go in CP1251 :)

> what's readily available.  If you want to safely send a Russian e-mail,
> encode it in windows-1251, since M$ infested idiots will be able to
> read it and smart people will be able to recode it -- not vice versa.

Sounds like correct recomendation. I'm just not sure that this would
work properly. Before I set up things with UTF-8 I could input only KOI8.
So all my emails were written in KOI8 (I know I could configure CP1251
as input method for X but this is outside of my desires) And clearly
text written as 8bit KOI8 is indistinguishable from 8bit CP1251 (unless
run thru the dictionary or few special characters are used which are
never used really) So the mail would go out as KOI8 text marked with
CP1251 charset. Which is definetely bad thing. So for thouse who does
not use UTF-8 input it's still would be safer to assume koi8-r as
default on *nix system and CP1251 on Windows. Those who use UTF-8 (as I
do now) can use CP1251 always and hope that *nix users are smarter than
Windows users and use latest mutt version :)

Andrei