Re: Subject üî

Thus spake Alain Bench [09/05/07 @ 00.01.21 +0200]:
>     Exactly. When I said they have to agree, it was about the charset
> only. However, muttrc doesn't want to set $charset: The default value is
> automatically derived from the current locale. This automatic link was
> absent or broken in previous versions, but since around
> MacOS 10.3 Panther, it works well.

Whoops, sorry I misunderstood.  I checked and indeed mutt did pull its charset
from $LANG.

> > Ångström.  SØren.  Cristóbal. Æneid.  Straße.  Œdipus.
>
>     All seems well in body. Subject is "[]üîå[]", meaning "uia" flanked
> by 2 U+FFFD replacement characters (in my font they look like empty
> squares). That seems to be what you described sending. Next question is:
> What added those U+FFFD chars??
>
>     I dropped the replacements, and just kept the "uia" in subject:
> Please reply with your UTF setup. So we'll see if replacements chars are
> reintroduced when you don't type special chars yourself.

OK, I'm in console vim composing the reply, and the subject line characters are
rendered properly, i.e., without the flanking weirdness.  Of course, that's how
they looked last time before becoming odd.

> > Is it better to do Latin 1 or UTF-8?
>
>     Latin-1 is extremely common, and contains the characters needed by
> most western languages. Spanish, German, French, Portugese, and some
> such. Well... It lacks the Euro symbol €, and the oe ligatures œ Œ.
>
> > when I set everything to UTF-8, the little arrows drawn in thread view
> > are all wrong.
>
>     Those semigraphic chars should work provided that $charset=utf-8
> exactly (that's the default value derived from LANG=en_US.UTF-8), that
> TERM=nsterm-16color, and that you have unchecked Terminal.app's "Wide
> glyphs for Japanese/Chinese/etc." setting. If they are still wrong,
> please describe how they look like.

I unchecked the box, but I haven't done nsterm-blah, because I don't seem to
have it on my machine.  The thread arrows are drawn correctly except that they
have spaces between them, like a dashed line.  I'll maybe mess with nsterm
later.  Right now it almost seems not worth it to me.  By the way, the arrows
look fine in Latin1, so maybe I'll stick with that (since apparently, mutt will
send all my stuff in Latin1 anyway unless I'm using a strange script.)

Thanks so much,
-G