Re: Subject charset issue

Hello,

 On Wednesday, August 29, 2007 at 15:49:35 -0400, dv1445@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> the correctly-shown "from" is the very first time, ever, in my history
> with mutt that an accented character has been displayed. Normally,
> I get either a single question-mark or a double one.

    This means that your terminal does UTF-8, but $charset doesn't. You
can pick nearly any charset. But Terminal.app, current locale, and
Mutt's $charset have to agree.

> export LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-1 [...] typing :set &charset ?charset. Mutt
> revealed that charset="US-ASCII".

    Something interferes, perhaps:

 - Env vars LC_CTYPE or LC_ALL overrule LANG: Unset them.

 - MacOS-X wants a specific spelling of locales: Try "en_US.ISO8859-1".

 - This locale is not installed: Install it, generate it, or pick one
already available in "locale -a".

    At each step, restart Mutt and check the ":set &charset ?charset"
until it shows "iso-8859-1". If nothing works, please report back, and
say us the version of MacOS-X.

Bye!    Alain.
--
Messages are better readable when formated on 72 columns, word-wrapped
without justification.