Re: Subject charset issue

Thus spake Alain Bench [09/01/07 @ 11.14.46 +0200]:
> > the correctly-shown "from" is the very first time, ever, in my history
> > with mutt that an accented character has been displayed. Normally,
> > I get either a single question-mark or a double one.
>
>     This means that your terminal does UTF-8, but $charset doesn't. You
> can pick nearly any charset. But Terminal.app, current locale, and
> Mutt's $charset have to agree.

I made all three agree on en_US.UTF-8, and the result was terrible.  Most
accented chars still were garbled.  Plus, I sent a test mail to myself with
some accented chars, and although they looked fine when I sent it, they were
garbled upon receipt (it wasn't slashes and digits, it was UTF?..blah blah).
Perhaps my school's IMAP server is using a particular charset.  I have no idea
how these things work.

I was able to get mutt and bash to agree on en_US.ISO8859-1, but there is no
option for that in Terminal.app's preferences.  I only see "Western (ISO Latin
1)" and "Western (ISO Latin 9)" [In fact, I even opened up Terminal.app's
.plist to see if I could manually put in the right string, but no dice].  I
tried it anyway, and it was almost proper.  The accented 'o' in 'Cristobal',
i.e., 'ó', showed up in the subjects and bodies of people's emails who were
quoting him, but it ceased to be rendered correctly in Cristobal's own From:
line, whereas it was fine before I started meddling.  Instead of the correct
char, I got a tilde over a capital A and some other junk.  This seems like a
step backward.  So far everything else seems to be OK; I sent another test mail
with accented chars and it went through fine.  Am I doing something wrong?

>     Something interferes, perhaps:
>
>  - Env vars LC_CTYPE or LC_ALL overrule LANG: Unset them.

Neither of these were set by default, so I just used LANG

>  - MacOS-X wants a specific spelling of locales: Try "en_US.ISO8859-1".

Yes, that is what worked.  locale -a is what showed that to me, as you
suggested.

>  - This locale is not installed: Install it, generate it, or pick one
> already available in "locale -a".

It was installed, along with a zillion crazy moon languages.

>     At each step, restart Mutt and check the ":set &charset ?charset"
> until it shows "iso-8859-1". If nothing works, please report back, and
> say us the version of MacOS-X.

I'm on OSX 10.4.8.  Thanks very much.