Re: Subject üî

On Thursday, September  6 at 08:08 PM, quoth Alain Bench:
> Hello Kyle,

Hiya Alain,

> There were several reports of Mutt freezes on MacOS-X in UTF-8
> locales, when stepping on various sorts of mails with invalid
> characters (and now even on the valid U+FFFD). This happens only
> with specific versions of libiconv and Ncurses. Some versions never
> freeze; Other versions freeze 100% repeatably. The cause is unknown
> so far:
> Contradictory evidences do exist.

Huh. <shrug> Perhaps I innoculated myself against trouble by linking
mutt against the ncurses in MacPorts (once upon a time, it was the
only way to get ncursesw support).

>> nsterm-16color is in the *latest* ncurses library, and only
>> applications that link against said library can use it.
>
>    The terminfo database comes indeed bundled with Ncurses. But you can
> also download the latest terminfo.src source file alone, and "tic -x" it
> with your old tic (provided it's not too old). And of course: Dangerous
> operation, backup first.

Bwahahaha! Take that, stupid `less`! Thanks Alain, that's good stuff.
Maybe one of these days I'll be able to migrate from xterm to
Terminal.app even!

> Running tic as root should install the compiled entry into the
> system database.

So it does!

> Excellent indeed! I'll update the entry with this alternate screen
> thing. Can you please tell me what is the output of:
>
> | $ printf "Main di\033[?47hAlternate screen.\n\033[?47lsplay.\n"
> | Main display.
>
> If this prints only "Main display." cleanly on one line, then you
> can drop the "\E7" and "\E8" sequences from the smcup/rmcup strings.

Yup, that prints just fine. smcup/rmcup strings are so modified.

Outta curiosity, what made you think those were superfluous?

~Kyle
- --
I would be delighted to offer any advice I can on understanding women.
When I have some I'll let you know.
                                                     -- Jean Luc Picard