Re: Subject üî

Hello Kyle,

 On Tuesday, September 4, 2007 at 23:01:13 -0600, Kyle Wheeler wrote:

> What makes you say that [UTF-8 on Macs is] less stable?

    There were several reports of Mutt freezes on MacOS-X in UTF-8
locales, when stepping on various sorts of mails with invalid
characters (and now even on the valid U+FFFD). This happens only with
specific versions of libiconv and Ncurses. Some versions never freeze;
Other versions freeze 100% repeatably. The cause is unknown so far:
Contradictory evidences do exist.

 On Wednesday, September 5, 2007 at 0:14:43 -0600, Kyle Wheeler wrote:

> nsterm-16color is in the *latest* ncurses library, and only
> applications that link against said library can use it.

    The terminfo database comes indeed bundled with Ncurses. But you can
also download the latest terminfo.src source file alone, and "tic -x" it
with your old tic (provided it's not too old). And of course: Dangerous
operation, backup first.

> recompile into my local database (~/.terminfo/n/nsterm-16color):
>| tic /tmp/nsterm-16color.src

    Running tic as root should install the compiled entry into the
system database.

> [smcup/rmcup] And presto! Mutt doesn't leave a copy of itself on the
> terminal after it exits.

    Excellent indeed! I'll update the entry with this alternate screen
thing. Can you please tell me what is the output of:

| $ printf "Main di\033[?47hAlternate screen.\n\033[?47lsplay.\n"
| Main display.

    If this prints only "Main display." cleanly on one line, then you
can drop the "\E7" and "\E8" sequences from the smcup/rmcup strings.

Bye!    Alain.
--
Mutt 1.2.5 users: Do us all a favour, set in_reply_to="%i" in muttrc, so
threading is not messed up by silly mail servers.