Re: mutt to show hi-bit chars once & for all?

On Sat 09/24/05 at 03:35 PM +0200,
Alain Bench <messtic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>     But I'm curious: Where did you find the idea this multi-charset
> $charset setting made sense? AFAICS no manual, FAQ, website, example
> muttrc, nor packager never said or implied this.

I was confusing "charset" with "send_charset".

The following is what the Mutt man page says about
"send_charset" -- this is where I got the multi-charset setting:

  6.3.244.  send_charset

  Type: string
  Default: "us-ascii:iso-8859-1:utf-8"

  A list of character sets for outgoing messages. Mutt will use the
  first character set into which the text can be converted exactly.  If
  your ````$charset'''' is not iso-8859-1 and recipients may not
  understand UTF-8, it is advisable to include in the list an
  appropriate widely used standard character set (such as iso-8859-2,
  koi8-r or iso-2022-jp) either instead of or after "iso-8859-1".

--
                         // rj@xxxxxxxxx //