Re: mutt to show hi-bit chars once & for all?

 On Saturday, September 24, 2005 at 5:38:26 -0400, Russell Hoover wrote:

> On Mon 09/19/05 at 03:10 PM +0200, Alain Bench <messtic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Export only LANG=en_US.ISO8859-1
> since I now am getting the correct display of high-bit characters, I'm
> inclined for the moment to leave them alone.

    Come on: You have conflicting charsets between locales categories.
This may well still give a good display in Mutt, but one day or another,
in Mutt itself or any other app, you are guaranteed to face expected
problems. You really want to stay misconfigured, after someone gave you
the good setting? Good setting you asked for?

| set charset="us-ascii:iso-8859-1:utf-8"
> I'm not sure I understand when you say that it's bogus. I thought that
> with my previous setting, which was "us-ascii:iso-8859-1:utf-8", that
> it would go from one to the next, using whatever was needed.

    No: Mutt doesn't do that, and never done. This bogus $charset
setting was breaking iconv functionality, breaking display of some
minority mails you were receiving, and was breaking all mails you were
sending.

    But I'm curious: Where did you find the idea this multi-charset
$charset setting made sense? AFAICS no manual, FAQ, website, example
muttrc, nor packager never said or implied this.

> with charset at iso-8859-1, I can still send and receive the correct
> high-bit chars

    This mail from you is the first to be really correct. All previous
mails you sent were mislabelled or miscoded. Beware to not confuse
correct appearance and true correctness.

    A bunch of aeiouy AEIOUY umlaut and a beta: äëïöüÿ ÄËÏÖÜŸ ß

Bye!    Alain.
--
set honor_followup_to=yes in muttrc is the default value, and makes your
list replies go where the original author wanted them to go: Only to the