Re: mutt to show hi-bit chars once & for all?

On Sat 09/24/05 at 03:35 PM +0200,
Alain Bench <messtic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>     Come on: You have conflicting charsets between locales categories.
> This may well still give a good display in Mutt, but one day or
> another,
> in Mutt itself or any other app, you are guaranteed to face expected
> problems. You really want to stay misconfigured, after someone gave
> you
> the good setting? Good setting you asked for?

No, no, of course not.  But I still need to determine what exactly my
correct settings need to be.  Right now I've got this:

[panix1:~]  [v4.2.5]  zsh  1010 --> locale
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_CTYPE="en_US.ISO8859-1"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=""
[panix1:~]  [v4.2.5]  zsh  1010 -->

and of course in mutt I now have:

charset="iso-8859-1"

(and this is by virtue of the fact that I have *not* set
"charset" in mutt to anything at all.)

Should I have all three of my settable locale entries set at
"en_US.ISO8859-1" ?  Or what exactly should they be set to.?

Do I need to be able to set the four that are now set at "C" ?
Because, as I mentioned previously, as things stand right now,
I'm unable to change those four settings.

Also, I need to figure out how to create high-bit characters
at my zsh prompt.  I know how to make the digraphs in Vim, but
not at the shell prompt.

>     But I'm curious: Where did you find the idea this multi-charset
> $charset setting made sense? AFAICS no manual, FAQ, website, example
> muttrc, nor packager never said or implied this.

I don't know -- I think I did that just to see what would happen.
I did see a colon-separated list of those three settings someplace,
but I don't remember where.

>     This mail from you is the first to be really correct. All previous
> mails you sent were mislabelled or miscoded. Beware to not confuse
> correct appearance and true correctness.

Interesting.

>     A bunch of aeiouy AEIOUY umlaut and a beta: äëïöüÿ ÄËÏÖÜ?? ß

Are you asking if they're displayed correctly?  All six of the lower
case letters with their umlauts, yes.  Of the upper case letters, I see
the "A" with an umlaut correctly, then two square boxes, then the "O"
with an umlaut correctly, then the "U" with an umlaut correctly. Then
two question-marks, then a space, then the beta-sign is displayed
correctly.

This is in both Mutt and Vim.  Same thing when I try to produce -- in
Vim -- the same letters:  äëïöüÿ  --  lower case, no problems.  Upper
case:  ÄËÏÖÜ:  --  not sure what *you* see here, but I can't seem to
produce, in Vim, the capitals "E", "I" or "Y" with their umlauts.  I get
the boxes for the "E" and "I" and the colon for the "Y".  (The way to
create the digraphs in Vim is to type the letter, then type <delete>,
then type a colon, and it should then give me the letter with the
umlaut.)

Hmm -- looks like my setup is not yet completely as it should be after
all.  One thing to note is that my mutt was compiled with S-Lang version
1.4.6, and I know that the new version 2.0.4 has "native support for
Unicode via UTF-8 throughout the library."  Using the new S-Lang may
help things.

--
                         // rj@xxxxxxxxx //