Re: mutt to show hi-bit chars once & for all?

Hello Russell,

 On Saturday, September 17, 2005 at 3:37:30 AM -0400, Russell Hoover wrote:

> here's an "a" with an umlaut: \344 [...] What settings do I need to
> adjust to make mutt display high-bit characters?
> In my muttrc:
>| set charset="us-ascii:iso-8859-1:utf-8"

    Remove this line. And check what Mutt says when you type directly
":set &charset ?charset".

>| set config_charset="utf-8"

    Beware: This *has* to be true. Your muttrc and all sourced files
have to be really written in UTF-8.

> In my .zshenv:
>| # export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8      <--- ( commented-out )

    Remove this line. The rule is to *never* use LC_ALL. Unless you know
what you're doing. And when you know what you're doing, you don't export
it in .zshenv anyway.

>| export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8

    Hum... What do you see in shell typing:

| $ printf "\xC3\xBC"

Bye!    Alain.
--
When you post a new message, beginning a new topic, use the "mail" or
"post" or "new message" functions.