Re: mutt to show hi-bit chars once & for all?

On Mon 09/19/05 at 03:10 PM +0200,
Alain Bench <messtic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[that I wrote:]
> >| LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
> >| LC_CTYPE="en_US.ISO8859-1"
> >| LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
> > I'm wondering if it's important that LANG, LC_CTYPE and LC_MESSAGES
> > all be set identically, or not.
>
>     Yes, it is essential that all categories have identical or
> compatible charsets. Values *can* be different, but have to be
> consistent. UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1 are not compatible. My temporary advice
> so far: Export only LANG=en_US.ISO8859-1, and verify that Mutt
> automatically takes $charset="iso-8859-1".

I've got the three settings you see above (from my last message)
set as you see them there, and, since I now am getting the correct
display of high-bit characters, I'm inclined for the moment to leave
them alone.

> > I tried to set all of these locale variables above to
> > "en_US.ISO8859-1". but only LANG, LC_CTYPE and LC_MESSAGES will accept
> > ANY setting. The other four remain with their setting at "C" no matter
> > what I may try to set them to.
>
>     Strange... Perhaps an effect of NetBSD having still quite limited
> locales support?

Not sure, but this is still the case.  Maybe I'll post a question
about this on the local newsgroup.

>     [print "\xBC"]
> > it's "Pi" -- the mathematical Pi
>     [print "\xA6"]
> > the oe ligature.
>
>     :-( Both don't fit. Perhaps "print" command does some form of
> transcoding. Another idea, what gives:
>
> | $ echo "äü" | iconv -f iso-8859-1 -t utf-8  # echo small au umlauts
> | äü

At the moment I can't find this out, since I don't know how to produce
accented or high-bit characters on my shell command-line, as I've never
had to do it before, and consequently have never *tried* to do it
before.

> > In any event, the problem appears to be solved
>
>     No: It's still broken, but in another way than before. You must
> first remove "set charset" line from muttrc. Don't comment it out, it's
> bogus anyway: Remove it totally.

I've done this, which causes it to default to: charset="iso-8859-1".
But I'm not sure I understand when you say that it's bogus.  I thought
that with my previous setting, which was "us-ascii:iso-8859-1:utf-8",
that it would go from one to the next, using whatever was needed.

Anyway, even with charset at iso-8859-1, I can still send and receive
the correct high-bit chars, so I suppose I shouldn't worry about it.

--
                         // rj@xxxxxxxxx //