Re: mutt to show hi-bit chars once & for all?

 On Monday, September 19, 2005 at 12:01:16 AM -0400, Russell Hoover wrote:

>| LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
>| LC_CTYPE="en_US.ISO8859-1"
>| LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
> I'm wondering if it's important that LANG, LC_CTYPE and LC_MESSAGES
> all be set identically, or not.

    Yes, it is essential that all categories have identical or
compatible charsets. Values *can* be different, but have to be
consistent. UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1 are not compatible. My temporary advice
so far: Export only LANG=en_US.ISO8859-1, and verify that Mutt
automatically takes $charset="iso-8859-1".

> I tried to set all of these locale variables above to
> "en_US.ISO8859-1". but only LANG, LC_CTYPE and LC_MESSAGES will accept
> ANY setting. The other four remain with their setting at "C" no matter
> what I may try to set them to.

    Strange... Perhaps an effect of NetBSD having still quite limited
locales support?

> mutt is now displaying the high-bit chars as it should.

    Good! I still don't know what charset it really uses, but your
terminal was not UTF-8 from the beginning.

    [print "\xBC"]
> it's "Pi" -- the mathematical Pi
    [print "\xA6"]
> the oe ligature.

    :-( Both don't fit. Perhaps "print" command does some form of
transcoding. Another idea, what gives:

| $ echo "äü" | iconv -f iso-8859-1 -t utf-8    # echo small au umlauts
| äü

> In any event, the problem appears to be solved

    No: It's still broken, but in another way than before. You must
first remove "set charset" line from muttrc. Don't comment it out, it's
bogus anyway: Remove it totally.

Bye!    Alain.