Re: Question about PGP Signatures.

On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 09:22:38PM +0900, Derek Martin wrote:
>On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 11:58:56AM +0200, Magnus Therning wrote:
>> Hmm, I don't quite follow your reasoning here. Why would export
>> restrictions on encryption make it any more difficult for an MUA to
>> support PGP/MIME?
>
>I guess I need to make this plain: It's not my reasoning.

Sorry, a misunderstanding on my side then.

>Some development teams have avoided the potentially murky area of
>encryption software by not only not doing encryption internally, but
>also not supporting the use of external programs to decrypt e-mail.
>
>  http://www.uvm.edu/~ashawley/pine/faq/security.html#PGP
>
>I have, in the past, come across more verbose versions of this argument
>which indicate that in some localities, it may not be clear what
>constitutes encryption software (i.e. code used to call external
>encryption software might be considered encryption software).  Whether
>you agree with their reasoning or not (I don't), I think their decision
>is reasonable, under the "better safe than sorry" principle.

Wow. I am not surprised. I had an eyeopener on export restrictions a few
months ago when I attended an encryption-related course for work. I work
for a large company, and let me just say that the department dealing
with export has some serious tools to help them out in the veritable
jungle of export laws.

/M

magnus@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://magnus.therning.org/

     -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania.