Re: mutt writes Fcc: even if the MTA fails to deliver

* On 2004.08.11, in <20040811205001.GS3845@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
*       "Michael D Schleif" <mds@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> How often does this happen?  What is the purpose of FCC?  Why should
> Perhaps, for you.  IMHO, I want my Sent folder to be a complete history
> of every message I sent -- and tried to send.  Then, each month, I
> archive older historical messages to archive directories.
>
> But, that's just me ;>

Without trying to get into this debate, I think this is where the
disagreement lies. I think it's quite natural for someone to think that
FCC: should be a record of sent mail, not of "well, I *meant* to send
it". But I'm just speaking philosophically here.

Personally I'd rather see fcc: not file copies unless $sendmail
succeeded, but Thomas has spoken, and the issue seems settled. My only
real addition to the discussion per se is that perhaps a boolean option
would be suitable. The FCC code could be relocated after the $sendmail
code, and conditioned to execute on success or if $fcc_anyway is set.
$fcc_anyway would be set by default for compatibility. The only real
cost would be yet another option, but that's not something I tend to
worry about, myself.

If that's agreeable to Thomas, I'll volunteer to write the patch.
Otherwise, it's not a big deal to me.

--
 -D.    dgc@xxxxxxxxxxxx                               NSIT::ENSS
 The World Wide Web: proof that God exists, and is laughing at us.