Re: Bounced messages get another From: header

On 2006-01-20 at 11:51 +0100, Alain Bench wrote:
>     I would hate to have a restricted smarthost. Doesn't different
> envelope and header create some risk to be blocked by some bug or filter
> on the road?

Only if the filter also blocks all email from mailing-lists.

Which does happen sometimes, unless it's a "known" mailing-list for the
recipient.  Eg, Hotmail's default settings.

Since traditionally the envelope sender hasn't been visible by the time
the filters run, it wasn't a problem.  It's likely to become more of a
problem as time goes on, with filtering happening inside the MTA before
returning a response to the "." at the end of a DATA command's
continuation (and Return-path: becoming more common), but hopefully the
move to authenticated message submission will happen at least a little
faster than the more excessive filtering.
--
I am keeping international relations on a peaceable footing.
You are biding your time before acting.