Re: Bounced messages get another From: header

 On Tuesday, January 17, 2006 at 23:46:19 +0100, Christian Ebert wrote:

> what exactly is the real underlying problem?

    Wrong "Resent-From:" because of $from not set.

    A symptom of the more general problem that for (pre)historical
reasons many people keep using "my_hdr From:" where they should not:
Anywhere outside of send-hooks.

> My problem is that I have several addresses, have to be mobile, send
> mail via smtp relayhost w/o changing my postfix config all the time

    That is a pretty common situation. Nothing there seems to require
an arbitrary fixed envelope sender different from header. Or what?

> what's the difference between your [$envelope_from=yes] deprecated
> config and [-f in $sendmail]

    Automatic header to envelope link: Whatever means is used to set
sender in header ($from, $reverse_name, "my_hdr From:", $edit_headers,
compose:<edit-from>, in macros, hooks, statically, or manually), the
envelope will always be coherant.

    The -f in $sendmail trick, or the new $envelope_from_address, are
usefull *only* when something in your mail setup requires an envelope
sender address that is both not the same as header, and not the local
user@hostname. Rare case.

 · Most people need same header and envelope: $envelope_from=yes
 · A notable minority needs user@hostname (later masqueraded by some
outgoing MTA): $envelope_from=no
 · Other needs do exist, but are marginal. The (3?) guys in this case
generally knows what he must configure.

    I don't know your constraints: If you really are in the last case,
happily using -f/$efa, then fine. But I object to your "dangerous"
advice, unappropriate for the OP and for the vast majority.

Bye!    Alain.
--
He even put in one of the stinkin smilies (you know: yellow, round,
happy... my personal preference is the one with a bleeding bullet hole