Re: Bounced messages get another From: header

Hi Alain,

* Alain Bench on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 at 14:38:39 +0100:
>>| set envelope_from_address="your@address"
>>| set use_envelope_from
>
> No. Nobody should do that (out of some very rare and very specific
> cases). At best it would hide some symptoms without curing the real
> underlying problem, at worst it could create difficult to track delivery
> problems much later when you change something in the config.

So, what exactly is the real underlying problem?

My problem is that I have several addresses,  have to be mobile,
send mail via smtp relayhost w/o changing my postfix config all
the time etc. So this seemed to be a sensible solution to my
layman's understanding.

> I voted against the inclusion of $envelope_from_address in Mutt because
> it is too easy to misuse. Mostly use equals misuse. But I lost, in the
> absence of another viable alternative to $sendmail -f tweaks suitable
> for SMTP sending.

And what's the difference between your deprecated config and

set sendmail="/usr/sbin/sendmail -f my@address -oem -oi"
set use_envelope_from=no

(trying this with this here mail)

Mark: all addresses I use are valid and working.

_B A U S T E L L E N_ lesen!  --->> <http://www.blacktrash.org/baustellen.html>