Re: Bounced messages get another From: header

Hi Alain,

* Alain Bench on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 at 13:44:40 +0100:
>  On Tuesday, January 17, 2006 at 23:46:19 +0100, Christian Ebert wrote:
>> what exactly is the real underlying problem?
>
>     Wrong "Resent-From:" because of $from not set.
>
>     A symptom of the more general problem that for (pre)historical
> reasons many people keep using "my_hdr From:" where they should not:
> Anywhere outside of send-hooks.

By reading this list I already felt encouraged to purge my config
of prehistoric settings ;-)

>> My problem is that I have several addresses, have to be mobile, send
>> mail via smtp relayhost w/o changing my postfix config all the time
>
>     That is a pretty common situation. Nothing there seems to require
> an arbitrary fixed envelope sender different from header. Or what?

While I am in Germany I use t-online.de as provider. Their
relayhost costs extra. Not that much, so it would be fine, except
the relayhost accepts my mails /only/ if I am connected via
t-online.de /directly/. Meaning when I travel and connect via a
dialin node of their associates or another provider the relayhost
doesn't work for me any more -- their support says I can use
their webmail interface, hehe.

The smtp server of my domain only accepts smtp-after-pop and it's
quite cludgy and hard to configure postfix to handle that. AFAIK
it can't be done without additional software or a dirty hook that
prepends a pop-poll to every send command.

So I use the gmx.de relayhost which is free and works from
abroad. /But/ it accepts /only/ gmx-addresses as envelope.

>> what's the difference between your [$envelope_from=yes] deprecated
>> config and [-f in $sendmail]
>
>     Automatic header to envelope link: Whatever means is used to set
> sender in header ($from, $reverse_name, "my_hdr From:", $edit_headers,
> compose:<edit-from>, in macros, hooks, statically, or manually), the
> envelope will always be coherant.

I see. Just bounced a message to myself. Never bounced before, so
I might be quite on the safe side.

>     The -f in $sendmail trick, or the new $envelope_from_address, are
> usefull *only* when something in your mail setup requires an envelope
> sender address that is both not the same as header, and not the local
> user@hostname. Rare case.

Do I qualify in your opinion? Or do you have any (postfix-config)
ideas?

>  · Most people need same header and envelope: $envelope_from=yes
>  · A notable minority needs user@hostname (later masqueraded by some
> outgoing MTA): $envelope_from=no
>  · Other needs do exist, but are marginal. The (3?) guys in this case
> generally knows what he must configure.

Hm, I hate being marginalized ;-)

>     I don't know your constraints: If you really are in the last case,
> happily using -f/$efa, then fine. But I object to your "dangerous"
> advice, unappropriate for the OP and for the vast majority.

I was sure you had good reasons for doing so. Thanks for the
detailed explanation.