Re: mutt development status

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 02:10:57PM +0100, Paul Walker wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 02:04:05AM -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
>
> > me the NEXT folder after the one I'm in which has new mail.  If you
> > have mbox, you're totally lost, because mutt forgets there's new mail
> > in your folders altogether.  In both cases, the behavior totally
>
> Maybe it's just me, but I actually quite like the fact that the folder
> doesn't show up with new mail after I've opened it...

Well, odds are it's not just you...  There are very few truly unique
opinions.  But I have to say it seems strange to me.  I guess it's a
function of the amount of mail I receive, and the way I need to
respond to it.  My job requires sorting through hundreds of e-mails
received over the course of my shift.  If mutt didn't return to
folders with unread mail in them, I would quite simply forget to go
back to them...

In any event, one of my main points is that this behavior is
inconsisntent between folder formats.  It's horribly bad UI design to
have the user interface's behavior change based on the format in which
the messages are STORED.  The format and, most importantly, the
function of individual messages does not change at all (except perhaps
save a header or two used to deliniate messages, but which the e-mail
client should not care about besides that), regardless of the folder
format.  Neither should the user interface which is used to display
and navigate through them.

The change I've proposed (both changes -- the one I proposed
yesterday, as well as the one I've proposed a month or two ago) would
have mutt return to folders with unread mail only after all folders
with new mail are cycled through. Hopefully you would agree that this
sort of change is not harmful to you, even if you don't like your
client to return to folders with mail you've seen, but haven't read.

-=-=-=-=-