Re: mutt development status

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 05:30:31PM +0200, Nicolas Rachinsky wrote:

> > > I often open folders without looking at anything of some of the new
> > > mails. I think these mails should stay new.
> >
> > How does marking such mail as "unread" not solve your problem?
>
> My problem is already solved fine by mutt. The mails stay new, as they
> should.

Fine, let me rephrase the question.  If the change I proposed were
made to mutt, how does that hurt you?

The fact is, mutt does NOT already solve the problem fine.  It only
works for you because you use maildir.  It works differently for other
formats.  With mbox, for example, mutt keeps the mail marked as new,
but does not consider these folders to have new mail in them until
additional new mail arrives in them.  This behavior is BROKEN.

For those who really DO want new mail to stay new mail, instead of
being marked as unread mail, that could be a configuration option.  It
already is... no reason it can't be kept.

The only difference should be that mutt should treat folders with new
mail consistenly across folder formats, which it currently does not
do.

-=-=-=-=-