Re: mutt development status

Yeah, but there are two problems with what you just said:

 - 'N'ew mail label
 - as long as you're using maildir

The first one is a problem because the mail ISN'T new... it's been
seen already, it just hasn't been read.

The second is a problem because not everyone uses maildir, and there
are perfectly valid reasons not to use it.  The fact remains that mbox
is faster for opening and searching in large mailboxes, making it much
better for (in particular, but not exclusively) archive folders.

I've posted some ideas for fixing this problem before... but the
developers ignored them completely -- no feedback whatever.  The only
comment on the ideas was from a couple of lurkers.   This is why
people are complaining.  Users are frustrated because great features
they've seen in other mailers are missing from mutt, and are slow to
be added.  Coders are frustrated because when they actually take the
time an effort to code some of these things, often the developers turn
a deaf ear... in many cases not even so much as aknowledging the
idea/patch/feature/whatever, let alone explaining their reluctance.

Now granted, a lot of the reason is because there are only a handful
of developers with commit access, and they're all pretty busy.  This
imposes practical limits on what can be reviewed, approved, and
included; but acknowledging this does nothing to quell people's
frustrations.  Hence the mutt-ng fork (the fact that it is suffering
from the same problems notwithstanding).

Here's another idea for how to fix this specific problem:  If you
don't want to deal with the difference between unread and new mail,
change the behavior of the change folder function.  Make the list of
folders a ring instead of a list.  This way, unread mail only comes up
first after all the folders with new mail have been touched first.

The current behavior sucks.  If you're using maildir, you keep getting
bounced back to the first folder you have with new mail in it.  But I
already saw that mail, and I don't want to read it now.  Instead, show
me the NEXT folder after the one I'm in which has new mail.  If you
have mbox, you're totally lost, because mutt forgets there's new mail
in your folders altogether.  In both cases, the behavior totally
sucks, but it doesn't even suck consistently.  And if you happen to
use BOTH formats, it's absolutely maddening...

-=-=-=-=-