Re: mutt development status

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 03:58:06PM -0500, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 04:26:59PM -0400 I heard the voice of
> John J. Foster, and lo! it spake thus:
> >
> > Yes, they are new mail, complete with an N flag. However, they are
> > not reflected in the mailboxes screen. Enter any folder with new
> > mail, and immediately leave that folder. The mailboxes screen does
> > not show that folder as having new mail.
>
> Well, it does, for me.  But I'm using maildir, so I'd expect that.

This is a problem, though.  Mutt does not provide a consistent
interface.  It is different depending on the format of the data.  In
this specific regard, it is a prime example of bad UI design. :(

> I can't think of how you'd handle it in mbox without having to parse
> the whole thing, though.  Icky.

You already have to parse the whole file when you open the mailbox.
Cache the status.  Use TG's header cache functionality.  IMAP isn't
the only place performance benefits from caching... :)

-=-=-=-=-