Re: mutt development status

> On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 02:10:57PM +0100, Paul Walker wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 02:04:05AM -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
> >
> > > me the NEXT folder after the one I'm in which has new mail.  If you
> > > have mbox, you're totally lost, because mutt forgets there's new mail
> > > in your folders altogether.  In both cases, the behavior totally
> >
> > Maybe it's just me, but I actually quite like the fact that the folder
> > doesn't show up with new mail after I've opened it...
>
> Well, odds are it's not just you...  There are very few truly unique
> opinions.  But I have to say it seems strange to me.  I guess it's a
> function of the amount of mail I receive, and the way I need to
> respond to it.  My job requires sorting through hundreds of e-mails
> received over the course of my shift.  If mutt didn't return to
> folders with unread mail in them, I would quite simply forget to go
> back to them...

Let me second you here. Up to recently I had to deal with ten or so
mails per day, but that changed to perhaps hundred per day recently. I
can't response to all of it immediatelly, since it would scatter my
concentration too much. And want a way to return to folders with
yet-undread-but-seen-the-subject mails. Other option for me is to have
all mail in one folder, and move all read emails to it's folders. But
that's ugly ( and you can't move email between folders simply, can you ?
The only way is to copy + delete )

> In any event, one of my main points is that this behavior is
> inconsisntent between folder formats.  It's horribly bad UI design to
> have the user interface's behavior change based on the format in which
> the messages are STORED.  The format and, most importantly, the
> function of individual messages does not change at all (except perhaps
> save a header or two used to deliniate messages, but which the e-mail
> client should not care about besides that), regardless of the folder
> format.  Neither should the user interface which is used to display
> and navigate through them.
>
> The change I've proposed (both changes -- the one I proposed
> yesterday, as well as the one I've proposed a month or two ago) would
> have mutt return to folders with unread mail only after all folders
> with new mail are cycled through. Hopefully you would agree that this
> sort of change is not harmful to you, even if you don't like your
> client to return to folders with mail you've seen, but haven't read.

Amen

--
        Vladimir