Re: mutt development status

On 2005-07-12 09:23:59 +0100, Paul Walker wrote:

> Nobody from the GUUG camp showed any interest in transferring the
> bugs over to a new system, or indeed acknowledged the people
> who'd offered to provide a new system. If you want to set one up
> and run it, I think a lot of people (mysel included) would find
> that very welcome, even if we do lose all the old bugs. :-)

If anyone says "here's a system that I'm going to run, please send
me the dump so I can import the old data", I'll happily do that.

(At the time, debbugs was chosen because it enabled e-mail based
submission of bugs; in part a consequence of the kind of Internet
access I was using back then. In the time of always on Internet
connectivity, that's not a requirement any more, and the e-mail
based approach is actually requiring a huge amount of maintenance
work.  I'm admiring the Debian people for still doing it.)

That said, I've mostly been following this discussion while sitting
in the back of a conference room at the Luxembourg ICANN meetings.

Oswald's diagnosis that I'm spending too little time and attention
on mutt development and maintenance is true.

Talking about mutt-ng, I'm not very impressed by that -- frankly, I
haven't read much from the mutt-ng people on this mailing list, and
I don't think I'd count them as being part of the closer mutt
community.  I think highly, though, of the work that has been done
by people like Marco d'Itri who spend a lot of energy and work on
the mutt packages that are part of various Linux distributions.

So, how do I see the way ahead?

I'd hope that some volunteer asks me for the bug database some day
soon.

I'd be happy for Brendan to take a more active role than currently.

And I'm looking forward for next week-end and next week, which look
like they are going to be less hectic than the recent past (and than
this week).  So, while I won't promise you a release this week-end
(in fact, I'm not even promising a single commit for this week), I
have every reason to believe that I'll have time to spend on mutt in
the very close future, which should give us a 1.5.10 well before
IETF 63 begins on 31 July.

--
Thomas Roessler · Personal soap box at <http://log.does-not-exist.org/>.