Re: mutt development status

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 03:18:19 -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
: On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 11:45:21PM -0700, Will Yardley wrote:
: > > The first one is a problem because the mail ISN'T new... it's been
: > > seen already, it just hasn't been read.

: > I think this should (ideally) be configurable either way.

: Absolutely, assuming mutt's current model.  But let's pretend your
: mailer did the following:

:  - allowed you to list folders in order of priority (as mutt does, and
:    I do this too)
:  - considers newly delivered mail in all folders as "new"
:  - when changing folders, assumes new mail in the current folder is
:    not currently important to you, so remembers that mail as "unread"
:  - selects the first folder in the list with "new" mail
:  - when no "new" mail remains, select the first folder with "unread"
:    mail
:  - when no "unread" mail remains, selects the next folder in the list
:    after the one you're currently in

: If you had this behavior, is there any reason to make it configurable?
: Is there any reason why anyone would want something different?  I
: suppose there may be one, but I can't conceive of it.

Well, yes, actually.  Scanning mboxes -- especially the number I have --
is slow.  I've never liked the 'O' flag; most of the mail I receive I need
to read in order, so there's little point in having received something,
and not read it.  The behaviour above isn't at all useful to me.

The way I personally get around the mailbox problem is screen(1).  mutt is
lightweight (<10MB/process; usually a lot less), so running multiple
copies isn't a problem.  Instant access, problem solved.

The amount of mail I receive and am expected to at least take note of if
not actually read is rather high, and so for obvious reasons I procmail it
into different mailboxes.  Most of these get rather large rather quickly
(I have several over 20K messages, and that's with a lot of /dev/nulling
of mail before delivery), and I find the whole mailbox choosing model
rather annoying and slow.  I'm sure I'm not alone.

--
Dickon Hood

Due to constant nagging to change it, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.