Re: [issue] mailbox is not saved upon signal recv (esp. SIGHUP)

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 15:13:03 -0800, Gary Johnson wrote:
: On 2005-01-27, Dickon Hood <dickon-ml@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

: > Try this: run a new screen session in an 80x48 xterm, and start mutt in
: > it.  Start an 80x24 xterm, and screen -x that new screen.  Now try using
: > the mutt you've just started, with both screen sessions displaying the one
: > mutt.  If the screen session is attached and displaying in a terminal
: > somewhere, resizing windows doesn't work quite as you'd expect IME.

: Ah, I see.  That is a different problem.  I was only trying 'screen
: -d -r' in the new xterm.  Thanks for clarifying that.

: I had never tried 'screen -x' before.  That is really cool!  As long
: as all terminal windows share a common size, that is.

With the standard 80x24 that's not hard, because everything handles it.
The occasional 80x25 you come across isn't worth the worry, because what's
one line between friends?

-x is great.  I've got one screen session that's been running since I
booted this box (my colo machine, splodge) in November 2002, with a
minimum of nine separate terminals using various screens within it.  It's
just too useful.

: > Different problem.  Resizing terminals running screen works fine, and
: > making them bigger works very well indeed.  Making them smaller, OTOH, has
: > some interesting problems.

: The only problem I have seen when making them smaller is that lines
: are folded oddly until I type Ctrl-L.  Are you seeing other
: problems?

I've seen one or two, but not specifically with mutt, so it's likely to be
a screen issue, if not something to do with the way I tend to have one
screen session and multiple views onto that session.

I *think* it's mostly an issue of getting a SIGWINCH delivered to the
process correctly, and getting screen to react to the one you're actually
after.  This is difficult, and AFAICS non-determinate.

It's a very complex area, so I definitely don't want to point any fingers
at anyone.  Unix, I do.  Unix terminals, I try very, very hard not to.

Oh, and BTW, assuming anyone's bothered reading this far, personally I'd
be against an NNTP reader in it (mutt is *not* Pine...) as the reading
habits I find are very, very differemt, and I'm not entirely convinced
that there's much better than '| /usr/lib/sendmail -t' that needs
implementing within the MUA itself.  I'm open to persuasion on the second.

Anyway.  Someone's about to slice dead bodies on telly, so must go and
watch...

--
Dickon Hood

Due to constant nagging to change it, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.