Re: [issue] mailbox is not saved upon signal recv (esp. SIGHUP)

On 2005-01-27, Tomas Telensky <tomas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > * On 2005.01.27, in <20050127183026.GG8391@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> > *   "Tomas Telensky" <tomas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > I actually think mutt shall allow to save the mailbox upon signal exiting,
> > > especially for SIGHUP. There could be a configuration option for it.
> >
> > I'm not sure about this as a required behavior, and others have spoken
> > against it in the past. Generally they vehemently recommend using
> > "screen". However...
>
> Well, not only screen users, but also ssh users. The way how me and my
> friends use mutt is that we logon to server from different places (work,
> home...) using ssh and read mails. It often happens that the connection is
> lost. Or, you are at home and you already have one mutt running from work -
> so you must kill it. And we are here! :-)

You could solve that problem as well by using screen.  You can start
mutt running in a screen session on the server from one place, then
when you log in from someplace else, simply detach that screen
session from its original client and reattach it to the new one.

I think screen solves your stated problem and solves it better than
adding SIGHUP handling to mutt since screen preserves the entire
state of the mutt program.  If you editing a reply when you lose
your connection, screen even preserves the editor's state.

Gary

--
Gary Johnson                               | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   | Wireless Division