Re: [issue] mailbox is not saved upon signal recv (esp. SIGHUP)

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 13:44:46 -0800, Gary Johnson wrote:
: On 2005-01-27, Tomas Telensky <tomas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

: > Well, not only screen users, but also ssh users. The way how me and my
: > friends use mutt is that we logon to server from different places (work,
: > home...) using ssh and read mails. It often happens that the connection is
: > lost. Or, you are at home and you already have one mutt running from work -
: > so you must kill it. And we are here! :-)

You can just leave it.  mutt's remarkably good at handling multiple copies
of itself faffing with one mailbox, and rarely screws up.  When it does,
it tends to core, though.

: You could solve that problem as well by using screen.  You can start
: mutt running in a screen session on the server from one place, then
: when you log in from someplace else, simply detach that screen
: session from its original client and reattach it to the new one.

Or just -x it, and use the same thing.  I do this rather a lot (work
desktop, home desktop, various laptops, with ssh sessions and whatnot),
but it isn't quite the panacea you'd hope.

At work, I have to deal with a large amount of mail, so I use an xterm
that's 80x48 to give me more lines to play with than usual.  I also have a
Nokia 9210 (and colleagues have the newer 9500) which runs Putty quite
nicely in 80x24.

That makes screen(1) difficult, when it's expecting an 80x48 terminal.

What I'd personally like to see, is a SIGUSR1 handler (or somesuch) to
resync the mailbox ('$'-style).  That way, if I've forgotten to do it
recently, I'm not faced with a couple of hundred 'unread' emails when
attempting to check things on my mobile.

One of these days I'll write a patch to do it.  It's been on my list for a
while.

: I think screen solves your stated problem and solves it better than
: adding SIGHUP handling to mutt since screen preserves the entire
: state of the mutt program.  If you editing a reply when you lose
: your connection, screen even preserves the editor's state.

They're subtly different, IMHO.

Just my £0.02.

--
Dickon Hood

Due to constant nagging to change it, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.