Re: Subject üî

* Kyle Wheeler on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 17:21:44 -0500
> On Tuesday, September 18 at 11:55 PM, quoth Alain Bench:
>> On Thursday, September 6, 2007 at 16:30:42 -0600, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
>>> I had already de-selected "Wide Glyphs count as two columns"
>>
>>   I wonder what does this option?
>
> From what I can tell, it allows some characters to take up two
> columns. For example, an em-dash (—) is hard to tell from an en-dash
> (–) or even a hyphen (-) without an actual change in width. This makes
> more sense when using a non-monospaced font (as em-dashes are
> naturally the same width as an m, which are the same width as
> everything else in such fonts). It becomes an issue when mutt does
> something that calls up a symbol from outside the monospaced font,
> such as the horizontal line character used to draw the threading
> arrows. This has a natural width that is slightly wider than all the
> other characters, and so when that option is enabled, the horizontal
> line glyph occupies two columns (it’s centered in the two-column
> area).
>
> At least, I *think* that’s how this works, based on how it seems to
> behave.

You also need to set this option if you want "Asian" characters
readable in Terminal.app, otherwise they melt into each other
horizontally. OTOH setting it messes up Mutt's thread display
(can be worked around by setting narrow_tree in Mutt, but not in
Slrn).

I switched to iTerm for the moment which doesn't have these
problems, and offers 256 colors, transparency and even GNU-Screen
like multiplexing, but, on the downside, is slower.

<http://iterm.sourceforge.net/>

> Thanks as always, Alain.

Seconded.

Python Mutt utilities <http://www.blacktrash.org/hg/muttils/>