Re: Subject üî

On 2007-09-10, dv1445@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Thus spake Kyle Wheeler [09/10/07 @ 18.25.23 -0500]:
> > And of course, you can try them out, and if you don't like the
> > results, change it back to how it is now without a second thought. :)
>
> I don't know what it is now, since I do not have an ~/.Xdefaults
> file. (not in my home dir anyway). Can I revert it just by
> deleting this file, if I create it?

You usually have to do something with the X server or the window
manager for the ~/.Xdefaults file to take effect or to remove its
effects after removing the file. The surest way is to log out and
log back in. The window manager I used to use had a root menu item
that would reset the X resource database, but I haven't been able
to find the equivalent on KDE. If you're careful and you know what
you're doing, you can use xrdb to manage the X resource database.

On 2007-09-10, dv1445@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Thus spake Kyle Wheeler [09/10/07 @ 18.25.23 -0500]:
> > And of course, you can try them out, and if you don't like the
> > results, change it back to how it is now without a second thought. :)
>
> As a matter of fact, I don't seem to have .Xdefaults *anywhere*
> on my machine. There is something called ".Xauthority" in my
> home dir, but it is a blank file.

I've lost track of what kind of system you're on, but you
can usually find the system default settings for your X
resources--those parameters you set in your ~/.Xdefaults file--in
the /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/ directory. You might also take a
look at the xrdb(1) man page.

HTH,
Gary