Re: e-mail encoding/formatting (was Re: Split-screen mode in mutt?)

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 06:19:09PM +0200, Alain Bench wrote:
>  On Friday, September 22, 2006 at 12:30:08 +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > In .muttrc I have "auto_view text/html [...] and in .mailcap I have
> > "text/html; lynx -dump %s; copiousoutput; nametemplate=%s.html".
>
>     Works very well here: The pager shows the HTML rendered as text,
> after an /attachment/ colored line:
>
> | [-- Autoview using lynx -dump '/tmp/mutt.html' --]

Okay, then, I'll leave it as is for a while, and see how it works
when a "sane" (if there is such a thing) HTML mail comes in.

> > other forms of the .mailcap entry which don't have "nametemplate".
>
>     I believe Lynx needs either *.html filename, or -force_html.

Good.  I thought that was the case.  I'll probably get rid of
"nametemplate" and use "-force_html".

> > After pressing 'v', the first mail has an index:
> >|  I     1 <no description>                     [text/html, 7bit, euc-jp,
> >2.8K]
>
>     Looks good. Even if 7bit and euc-jp may seem contradictory: How is
> the body really encoded? Is there a Content-Transfer-Encoding header?
> Hum... Please gzip the whole mail and send it to me attached.

"7bit" mismatch with "euc-jp" was due to my procmail rule.  (I still
convert to euc-jp immediately before running mail through my spam
filter, which is last in the chain, because I have many recipes based
on Japanese that is encoded euc-jp.  Has to be same encoding to match.
This particular mail was a false positive because it was entirely in
HTML, and didn't have a key upstream to divert it to a mailbox.)

I believe the mail is euc-jp, and there is no Content-Transfer-Encoding
header.  Anyway, I'll send it to you so you know what I have to put
up with _daily_. :)  This is a mild case, BTW.

>     FUBAR. You can always workaround the mess by selecting (3) and

Thanks.  I wasn't able to make this diagnosis for certain on my own.

> mail like this: The sender's mailer, or some evil procmail rule?

Sender's mailer.  (No procmail hacking of this sender, only diversion
to specific mailbox due to exact match on envelope From.)

Mutt can't be a mind-reader, too!  Amazing it does as well as it
does with the junk I have to throw at it.

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba(dot)ne(dot)jp/(tilde)home/