Re: e-mail encoding/formatting (was Re: Split-screen mode in mutt?)

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 08:57:35AM +0200, Alain Bench wrote:
>  On Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 11:03:32 +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > If I press 'v' then [Enter] on the file, it is rendered into text, so
> > I think the ".mailcap" entry is okay.
>
>     Not certain. For <decode-copy>, the mailcap entry used to render
> some part into text is the same as for auto_view in pager: The entry
> with a /copiousoutput/ tag. The rule is: If you see something in the
> pager, you get it in <decode-copy>.

Okay, so probably something is wrong with my setup since I do not get
HTML mail rendered into text in the pager from the index.  The only way
I can get Mutt to convert to text is to press 'v' first, and then select
one of the "attachments" to view.

In .muttrc I have "auto_view text/html application/x-gunzip application/
msword", and in .mailcap I have "text/html; lynx -dump %s; copiousoutput;
nametemplate=%s.html".  I've also tried other forms of the .mailcap entry
which don't have "nametemplate".

I now have two mails available for testing.  Viewed directly in nvi, one
has only HTML with no mime information in the body, and the Content-Type:
header reads "text/html; charset="euc-jp"".  The other has two parts, one
text and the other HTML, in that order.  They are not labeled as to type
in the body; they are only separated by a "--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u..."
line.  The Content-Type: header is "multipart/alternative; boundary="
NextPart_Webmail_9m3u...".

Both mails show up in unrendered HTML in the pager from the index.
After pressing 'v', the first mail has an index:
  I     1 <no description>                      [text/html, 7bit, euc-jp, 2.8K]
, and if I press Enter on that, I get plain text.

The second mail has an index in the attachment menu like:
  I     1 <no description>                     [multipa/alternativ, 7bit, 2.6K]
  I     2 |-><no description>                [text/plain, 7bit, us-ascii, 1.0K]
  I     3 `-><no description>                [text/plain, 7bit, us-ascii, 1.4K]
Both 1 and 3 show up as raw HTML.  Only 2 shows up as text, but it is
plain text to begin with.

Sorry for the long post, but I really would appreciate Mutt just showing
me plain text when I hit [Enter] on the mail listed in the main index.

Are the above two mails hopelessly broken, or is there some way to get
Mutt to do what I want?  TIA

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba(dot)ne(dot)jp/(tilde)home/