Re: e-mail encoding/formatting (was Re: Split-screen mode in mutt?)

Much of this Alain took care of, I'm just adding a little extra...

On Saturday, May  6 at 01:22 PM, quoth cga2000:
>> That's what's known as "quoted-printable" encoding
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quoted-printable). Normally, mutt
>> should transform that into the encoded bytes for you. I have no
>> idea why it wouldn't... And I have no idea why it would work for my
>> email but not yours, since our emails are encoded in exactly the
>> same way. You may
>
> meaning that this same message we are talking about displays correctly
> your end?

Exactly.

>> have found a mutt bug of some kind...
>
> but then it only seems to affect this particular message on my hard
> drive. Could it be that this message was somehow "damaged" on the way
> back to me (from the list, I mean) .. possibly due to something in my
> headers relative to content-type.. encoding.. etc..

Yeah, that would be the more likely explanation (but then, my mutt is
kinda heavily patched, so...).

>> Try this experiment: send yourself a message with curly-quotes in
>> it,
>
> already did that - naturally.. and sure enough, the version that came
> back display ok.
>
>> then send yourself another one with an attachment (doesn't matter
>> what, just so long as it's an attachment).
>
> .. you mean the same message with just the curly quotes and an
> additional attachment.. sorry I'm slow but I'm just too new to mutt to
> guess what you are driving at.

Exactly. Send yourself a message with curly-quotes, and attach
something to that message.

> and also <blush> how do I do that - send an attachment? </blush>

In the compose screen (where mutt shows you the to, from, subject,
FCC, BCC, CC, etc.), hit the "a" key. The bottom half of that screen
is the list of all the message parts (i.e. the main text part plus any
attachments you've added).

> I think I still have the message on my hard drive. Maybe there's
> something in the raw message that's different from your version and
> causes mutt (and vim) to switch to that '= plus byte content'
> transliteration.

The only thing I can think of is if your message is missing the
Content-Transfer-Encoding header for some reason (I believe Alain
covered this).

> If I view the message in mutt, type 'L' to edit it, write to a file
> in /tmp, and then start vim on this file I see the same thing.

HEH, don't do that, that's rather round-about. Set $editor to "vim"
(or set your environment variable EDITOR to be "vim").

> the above in lieu of the curly double quotes as well as a few =20
> and =2D. So both vim and mutt are no longer quite capable of
> figuring out the space and the dot - both 1-byte characters - in a
> UTF-8 context, at least where this message is concerned (*and* on my
> system as it is currently set up).

vim does not decode quoted-printable (=##) encoding, because vim is
not a mail reader. mutt, on the other hand, *does* decode that stuff
(provided it knows that it needs to, which it determines based on the
existence and content of the Content-Transfer-Encoding header). If you
tell mutt to have vim edit the raw email, mutt will definitely *not*
decode it for you, so you will see the =2D stuff (thus the definition
of the word "raw").

> sounds to me as if there is something in this message that confuses
> the routine that does the transliteration on behalf of mutt, vim,
> less, od, etc.. and the either mozilla does not use the same lib or
> a different version.

vim, less, od, etc. do not decode quoted-printable encoding. They
edit/view files just as they are.

~Kyle
- --
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
                                                    -- Albert Einstein