Re: e-mail encoding/formatting (was Re: Split-screen mode in mutt?)

 On Monday, May 8, 2006 at 22:43:52 -0400, cga2000 wrote:

> I wanted to make sure the file did contain x'E2809C' (3 bytes) - not
> the six bytes with the hex representation of 'E' '2' '8' '0' '9' 'C' -
> iow x'453238303943'.

    I assume you mean the 9 bytes "=E2=80=9C" or x'3D45323D38303D3943'.
That's what the said mail really contains here.

>> the said mail shows one part only "[text/plain, quoted, utf-8, c,
>> 1,5K]". And for you?
> same, unfortunately..

    Mutt really displays "quoted" in <view-attachments>? For another
case, take a look at TLR's following message:

| Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 10:49:30 +0200
| From: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
| Subject: Re: using vim as mutt's pager

 - Do you see =3D and =B7 in pager?
 - Do you see =3D and =B7 in the message piped to
"LESSCHARSET=ascii less" in $pipe_decode=no mode?
 - Do you see "quoted" in <view-attachments>?

> I switched to UTF-8 in the middle of this thread..

    To (re)state sure things: QP encoding and UTF-8 charset are
different things. Mutt's QP decoding has nothing to do with UTF-8 or any
other charset, and nothing to do with any of your locale, terminal,
ncurses(w), system, //TRANSLITeration, font, nor muttrc. The said mail
was technically perfect in all respects. Also perfect was the immediate
parent message from Kyle.

    BTW something annoyingly reformated my text you quoted, especially
breaking the macros. What was it? Some filter, Vim, or what?

Bye!    Alain.
--
Procmail?
See the archives for more discussion on why this should,