Re: Reading UTF-8 Mail (was Re: e-mail encoding/formatting)

 On Sunday, May 7, 2006 at 12:32:07 -0400, Richard Cobbe wrote:

> On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 05:39:42PM +0200, Alain Bench wrote:
>> not setting any locale variables is *not* a sensible configuration.
> it's always worked for me.

    You perhaps didn't notice the problems, or didn't attribute them to
such novars setup. But there were problems for sure. No locale vars is a
broken system setup for Mutt. To the contrary, explicitly setting LANG=C
makes sense (on a 7bit terminal), or at least isn't broken but only
suboptimal (on any other terminals).

> This is probably a system-dependent issue, but are there any
> signficant differences between the C locale and the en_US locale
> (which is what I'd use if I were to set this explicitly)?

    That's system-dependant, right, and in fact every detail of what's
determined by a given locale is customizable. Mostly en_US implies the
Latin-1 charset, sorts low-upercase "AaB" instead of "ABa", clock format
is 12 hours AM/PM, numbers have a coma thousands separator, money uses
USD/$ and also has coma thousands separator, the exact transliterations
done by //TRANSLIT are different, etc...

> I've finally gotten this working. Upgrading to mutt 1.5.11

    Great!

> this version was *not* compiled with the LOCALES_HACK option. Whether
> it was that or the version upgrade I do not know

    Or the two Ncurses dylibs? It's frustrating to not know the precise
cause, but well...

Bye!    Alain.
--
Give your computer's unused idle processor cycles to a scientific goal:
The Folding@home project at <URL:http://folding.stanford.edu/>.