Re: Split-screen mode in mutt?

Thus spake David Haguenauer on Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 07:46:38PM -0400 or
thereabouts: <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2006-04-29 22:39]:
> * cga2000 <cga2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, 2006-04-29 17:16:34 Sat:
> > I was wondering if there is any way I can split the screen in mutt -
> > possibly to display a message list on the left-hand side of the screen
> > and the message I am currently reading
>
> Maybe `set pager_index_lines=8' (for example) does what you want.
>
> > (or replying to) on the right - or any other screen setup that might
> > be available.
>
> Setting pager_index_lines causes part of the index to be shown while
> reading messages, but the text editor used while replying still has
> control over the entire window.
>
> --
> David Haguenauer

Thanks. Partly does what I want. Since most displays are wider than
they're high and with 1000+ horizontal pixels pretty much the standard
nowadays, I was hoping there would be some means of splitting the
screen vertically. I always use a full-screen xterm (occasionally a
framebuffer console) at a 1400x1050 resolution and the result is that
mutt uses roughly only one-third of the available space. With the
smallish font I generally use I have 221 characters / line.. and since
most email messages wrap at column 72 or thereabout I would have
preferred splitting vertically.

Another thing I noticed (as your last remark suggests) is that this is
not really a split-screen mode anyway: you can't switch the focus
so-to-speak back and forth between the pager and the message you are
currently viewing. A consequence of this is that you have to switch to
the cursor/arrow keys to move up and down the message list instead of
the vim-style movement keys (j,k).

Anyway, I have a long way to go before I am in a position to ask for
new features. :-)

cga