Re: Split-screen mode in mutt?

On Sunday, April 30 at 12:12 AM, quoth cga2000:
Thanks. Partly does what I want. Since most displays are wider than they're high and with 1000+ horizontal pixels pretty much the standard nowadays, I was hoping there would be some means of splitting the screen vertically. I always use a full-screen xterm (occasionally a framebuffer console) at a 1400x1050 resolution and the result is that mutt uses roughly only one-third of the available space. With the smallish font I generally use I have 221 characters / line.. and since most email messages wrap at column 72 or thereabout I would have preferred splitting vertically.

Unless I’m misunderstanding you, it doesn’t sound like it’s particularly necessary for the two sides of your split to talk to each other. If that’s the case, then you can use ways to divide your terminal and run multiple instances of mutt in order to best use the space you have.

You can try using the program “screen”, and then running multiple instances of mutt. It won’t be a vertical split, but it’s something.

Another way to do it would be to use either vim or emacs to split your screen, and run a shell inside the split (for vim, you’d need the VIM-shell extension: http://www.wana.at/vimshell/). That will get you a vertical split.

~Kyle
--
How can you expect to enjoy life without heartily disliking a good many people?
                                                       -- Cary Tennis