Re: e-mail encoding/formatting (was Re: Split-screen mode in mutt?)

 On Saturday, May 6, 2006 at 13:22:44 -0400, cga2000 wrote:

> double-checked the raw contents using the od command

    BTW to examine conveniently the raw content of a message, I pipe it
to less with a pair of macros while $pipe_decode=no (as per default):

| macro pager & "<pipe-message>less<Enter>"     "voir le message brut"
| macro pager \e& "<pipe-message>LESSCHARSET=ascii LESSCHARDEF= \
|  LC_ALL=C less<Enter>"        "voir le message très brut"

> [=E2=80=9C and such quoted-unreadable] mutt/vim are not recognizing
> the UTF-8 encoding for this particular message, or am I mistaken?

    What's unrecognised is the *quoted-printable* encoding, and you have
the same problem with *every* QP message without attachments (just you
noticed only this one). Same problem with any charset.

> this same message we are talking about displays correctly your end?

    Yes. And for me, <view-attachments> (bound to 'v' by default) of the
said mail shows one part only "[text/plain, quoted, utf-8, c, 1,5K]".
And for you?

    Note here Mutt knows it's "quoted" (short for QP), the raw message
really contains =20 and such, Mutt decodes them on-the-fly, and sends
the real characters to the pager (or to vim, or to a command in
$pipe_decode=yes mode, to a text file with <decode-copy>, etc...).

> Could it be that this message was somehow "damaged" on the way back to
> me (from the list, I mean) .. possibly due to something in my headers
> relative to content-type.. encoding.. etc..

    Yes. Something (MTA, procmail, other) removed or damaged the
But what? Perhaps:

 -1) A st**pid destructive procmail self-foot-shooting rule.

 -2) Low probability but... Your provider seems to use a "Sun Java
System Messaging Server" as MTA. This is an heritage of the infamous
iPlanet all-purpose mail platform. And is very bad, especially known to
modify mails it transports. See my old rant-sig.

    OK: I know, sorry. My thinking might be a little colored by primary
anti-iPlanet hate. Hypothesis (2) is in fact not probable at all. ;-)

Bye!    Alain.
--
Mutt 1.2.5 users: Do us all a favour, set in_reply_to="%i" in muttrc, so
threading is not messed up by silly mail servers.